Saturday, June 24, 2006

In 10 years . . .

I have a birthday coming up. The big 41.

I just received an email from a friend where you had to answer a list of 40 questions about yourself. One of the questions was: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? My answer was with a full head of gray hair.

Where will I be in 10 years? My son will be 20. I'll be 51. I'm sure I will have a full head of gray hair as I'm about half gray now. :(

I don't know that I have any hopes and dreams floating around in my head that don't revolve around my son at this point. I think it's time to set an example and start dreaming big.

My biggest worry is health. God I hated it when mom used to go on and on about health. She died at 59 because she was in such poor health. I've always viewed myself as much healthier than she was, but the truth of the matter is, I don't know that that is true.

I keep telling myself to get with it and start Weight Watchers again. Every week goes by and I don't rejoin. I keep telling myself to quit smoking. Truth is, I can't see myself without cigarettes. Sad but true, I am completely addicted to cigarettes.

Fat, smoker = heart attack/stroke just waiting to happen.

Get your shit together, lady.

Last night the three of us played basketball for about an hour. My son was amazed that I could play, and even more amazed that I could (and did) make baskets. At one point in my life I was very athletic. Now from smoking and being overweight, it's damned hard to play basketball, walk, climb stairs, etc.

I have to get it together, and not for my son, not for my husband, not for anyone but me.

My birthday is next week. That, of course, means eating out, cake, lots of stuff that isn't great for one's health. Two days after my birthday, my present to myself will be to start living. Why two days? Because if there's cake in the house, I cannot control myself. I'm sure my family will devour the cake by the day after my birthday. When it's gone, I'll start.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?